Tuesday, November 25, 2014

An Unforgettable Wedding!

On November 22, 2014, hubby and I together with Sir Steve went to Iligan City to attend the wedding of our colleague. The last single lady from our department is getting married on that day. All of us were very excited to see her walk in the aisle, marrying her long time boyfriend.

She is well loved by her co-workers, many of us were present in the event. Some came all the way from Cagayan de Oro City like us, and the rest who are mostly from Iligan City were there as well, including our department head and his wife.

We arrived 30 minutes before the wedding, we wanted to be early because we know that the wedding ceremony will really start on time. Take it from us, because hubby and I were married in the same church in 2008.

As expected, she was the most gorgeous girl in her wedding day, though the church arrangement was not that impressive (maybe because, the bride opted a simple one) the atmosphere was very much in love.

The funny thing was, we all waited for the priest to say “You may now kiss the bride”, I thought he forgot, but I think he intentionally did it to make fun with the newlywed couple; after all, he was their family friend.

Then came the pictorial, though it was not that organized (thumbs down to the coordinator), we all excitedly went to the altar when the “the colleagues of the bride” were called.

After that we were all busy taking photos of ourselves and later proceeded to the reception.

The reception was held in the grand hall of a hotel, the only hotel in the city that has a casino. It was actually my first time to attend an occasion in that hotel, and seeing the wedding hall was quite acceptable, the stage and the arrangement were nicely done.

The guests were welcomed with a lot of finger foods, stationed at the lobby of the 6th floor where the main hall is. Because we were already hungry, we picked some of the foods there like tropek, fried banana with sauce, cheese lumpia, and jelly and also took a cup of cocktail juice.

The actual reception started when the couple came in at 6pm, the hall was already full of guests, more or less 200 people. All of us were so excited to see them take their steps towards the stage for the cake cutting followed by the usual activities in a wedding reception.

By 7pm the guests were already advised to take photos first with the couple before proceeding to the buffet area. The foods served were chicken teriyaki, beef steak, 4 seasons vegetable, lechon, seafood spaghetti and fruit salad. Because I’m not that delicate when it comes to food, I tried all of them.

Attending a wedding as group is sure fun, we all enjoyed our meals while chit chatting for an hour. Imagine twelve of us seated at the same table, the same faces I see at the office every day. By past 8pm, we sought permission from the bride and went our way. We still had to take an hour and a half drive to Cagayan de Oro City.

We arrived home past 10pm. I was still smiling when I went to bed that night still thinking how happy the couple were and how in-loved they are.  But the story doesn’t end there.

The following day, our company nurse called up, asking me if I was okay, if I had experienced LBM. I asked her why, because I was feeling well the time she called up (around 11am), and she told me that she was going in and out of the toilet a couple of times already and thought that it was from the breakfast she had. Later, when our officemate D (the bride) called her up, that’s the time she realized it was from the food at the wedding reception. As our company nurse, she called all of us who attended the wedding, I was joking that I was too strong to be get affected, but later in the afternoon the pain started, I went to the toilet and boom! I was having the same! An LBM, stomach pain, FOOD POISONING! As of Sunday afternoon, almost 30 guests were affected, some were admitted to the hospital, including the bride’s mother and two siblings.

By Monday, the number was rising, fifteen of us who attended were hit including our boss and his wife. The last, update we heard from D was that 70 were already accounted. The bacteria took charge and went wild as early as Sunday morning. I had on Sunday afternoon and some had on Monday like my husband.

The couple talked to the hotel, and the management is willing to pay all the expenses incurred by the victims, like medicine, etc. And for those who are working and had to call for sick leave will also be compensated.

Though the hotel management, vowed to take responsibility as to the expenses, the pain, the hassle they brought to us because of their mishap cannot be compensated. I really pity the couple. They were supposed to be in their honeymoon (probably) right after the wedding, instead they were busy running around negotiating with the hotel owner, tending to the needs of the victims. Especially their family who were also affected and had to be taken to the hospital.

The wedding of the year turned out to be a very unforgettable one. A supposed to be a very beautiful event to remember became negative. Thanks to the hotel for being so irresponsible and lax in their services, especially in the food preparation and handling. I hope you learned something from what had happened and next time become vigilant to whatever services you are offering, especially when dealing with food because people's lives maybe at risk with just a simple mistake.

As of this writing, my stomach is still rumbling from time to time, even with the medicine that our company doctor had prescribed. 

1 comment:

  1. It's always great to attend weddings. To me as s wife, it reminds me of my vows and how amazing I felt when I married. Hehe.


I really appreciate if you can leave some footprints here. Have a Nice Day!